Friday, September 12, 2008

ouch

This semester isn't as insane as last semester, but it is picking up. I started work-study and that is going well, my "boss" is really awesome, plus he teaches one of my more interesting classes so it's a good contact to have. I woke up with a throbbing headache again today and have been feeling sick all day. I finally broke down and took some Excedrin it was so bad, but it hasn't really helped. I haven't taken it in weeks because I didn't want my body to get hooked on it, but I guess it doesn't matter since it's not helping. It will be nice to get my MRI and see the neurologist so he can find something to relieve the pain. I'm getting an MRI with the dye, which I did a little reading on and I'm kind of curious about it. Some things I read say it's really dangerous and has horrible side effects, other things say that side effects are rare and usually mild. Any info from the medical staff in the family? Michelle? Mandi? I'm sure it will be okay, I don't really have any allergies so I doubt I'll react. My Dr. took some blood for a few things and said he was going to test kidney function also to make sure I can handle the dye, so it sounds like he is covering the bases pretty well, he has definitely earned my confidence so far. He really listened to everything I was saying at the appointment versus just blowing me off and telling me it was some common cause (which it probably is, but it's nice to be certain). He said he wants to check and make sure nothing else is going on before throwing drugs at me, not knowing what the cause is exactly, so I really appreciated that.

Hopefully I will get my clinical placement soon, I am so excited for the first one! Nervous too...I hope I don't screw up! I am so excited for my new niece or nephew! (random thought day, I apologize for the seemingly random changes in subject) I haven't gotten a hold of Hershal or Michelle since I heard the news though so I don't know any of the exciting details like when they are due! My maternal urge has been poking at me lately, I've REALLY been wanting a baby! But the time will come some day, and now is definitely not the right time!

Well, family, I hope you are all well and enjoying life. Let me know if you have any more educated details about MRI dye :) MISS YOU!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

well I'm sure michelle has much more experience with this but with my patients who have MRIs their main issue is anxiety/claustrophobia. Now the worst result I've seen wasn't from the MRI itself but from oversedation in people who couldn't maintain an airway. Other than that I've had two people have iv contrast infiltrate, one who needed an I&D later but not a huge deal. Obviously the benefits of the test outweigh the risk and your dr is checking your renal function which is the biggest issue. But you are young and healthy and probably have a much higher chance of getting in a car wreck on the way to the MRI than having any adverse effects. LOL that didn't come out as comforting as I meant it to! Love you!!!!