Matthew and I did our first 5k today (Matthew's first race ever), and there's talk of him doing it again next year! Since we each get 2 tickets out of the deal it brings him in. The race was fun, but there were a lot of people with very poor race etiquette. Although there were several announcements asking walkers to start toward the back, walkers lined up at the very front and didn't even move to the right as is also running etiquette. We were dashing and weaving but it was still fun. I lost Matthew up a big hill about mile 1, he was doing a better job of darting in and out of people, and I got stuck behind a couple of inconsiderate girls who abruptly stopped right in front of me (without moving to the side) so we got separated. I doubt I could have kept up with him anyway. Our first mile was 7:45, wow! That's compensating for the 2 minutes and 40 seconds it took to get to the start. Matthew finished in 25 minutes and I finished in 27:20. I was really happy with that time, although the race clock said 30, it doesn't really matter. There weren't any timing chips, and a very informal tag pick up so I really doubt the recorded time will be anywhere close, which is too bad because I was hoping to use it as a qualifier for BolderBoulder. In any case it was a lot of fun running a race with Matthew and I'm really happy with my time. I would boast it was a PR but it's really the first 5k I've ever ran, aside from a very informal school race I did with a friend in college in which we just ran for fun, we didn't push it or anything. I must admit I'm a little jealous that Matthew can run so fast without training. His training consisted of one 1.6 mile run and one 2.5 mile run. And he finished the 5k in 25 minutes. I'm happy for him. Really. ;)
My new computer is supposed to arrive tomorrow then I can play with posting pictures and stuff, I'm so excited! And only FOUR more days of work with my final on Wednesday, so Thursday I will be free for a short time. 2 1/2 weeks until I start my Doctor of Physical Therapy...AUGH!!!
Oh yeah, and at the 5k there were free hot dogs, slushies, bagels, bananas and beer in addition to 2 rockies tickets each and a pretty cool t-shirt. Good deal for 30 bucks.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Wow! Y'all are amazing! I can't believe how fast you two can run. Congrats on a great race. Love ya'.
Post a Comment